Monday, July 26, 2010

You are so beautiful... um, no.

I had a doggie recovering from surgery this weekend, as well as dog-sitting another whose owner was at Grassroots, which meant I wasn't going far from the house. My husband was going out of town for a funeral, so I had all kinds of plans to get a lot of work done with the house more or less to myself. I only managed to sort out the mess on the kitchen countertop and watch a lot of old Saturday Night Live episodes. Season Two, episode three had Eric Idle (of Monty Python fame) hosting and Joe Cocker as the musical guest. I can't find a clip of it, but Joe Cocker's first performance was him singing You Are So Beautiful, and damn, I cannot tell what the f is wrong with that guy. He came out on stage wearing a sparkly elvis-y type suit with what looks like a little girl's peasant top unbuttoned nearly all the way that barely comes to the top of his very round belly, and the top couple buttons on his pants are undone. Let me repeat that: HIS PANTS ARE UNDONE. While he's performing. While he's performing a song titled "You Are So Beautiful." The irony was not lost on me. If you get a chance to check it out, I highly recommend it. (The whole season is available on Netflix and Netflix instant streaming.)
His second performance was "Feelin' All Right" and John Belushi joined him onstage doing his Joe Cocker impression. It was priceless. The video below isn't that particular performance, but you get the gist.

And let me add this:  Belushi is not exaggerating in the least.

3 comments:

  1. He's doing very well, thank you! Face-swelling gone and I think we're going to stop pain meds tonight. Certainly no lack of energy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. EW! Pants undone NOOO!
    I am going to have to instant stream this shiznit!

    ReplyDelete