Friday, August 24, 2012

So you're the girl who can get me whiskey...

Yesterday, a resident came up to me in the lobby and said, "Now here's a girl who looks like she can get me whiskey!"

This is Lorna Gobey, a woman in the UK who turned 100
2 years ago. She attributed her longevity to 70 years of
cigarettes, Guinness and whiskey. Her son Bob Fisher, 66, said:
''She smokes faster than the rest of us and still loves a drink.
She loves bingo, playing a tune on the mouth organ
and riding around town in cars.''
I didn't know any of the context that had happened prior to me stepping into the hallway. I just knew that we were in the middle of having a career fair and the lobby was filled with prospective employees.









This resident, she's a lovely woman, very refined, used to be a docent at the Guggenheim Museum in New York, has terrible vision. She's blind as a bat. She picked up the hem of my dress and said, "Oh, are these doggies?"

"Uh, nope. Butterflies."

"Oh. Well, I'm sorry you can't get me any whiskey."

"I'm sorry too. Maybe next time."

I'm still wondering what it was about me that made her think I'd have a fifth stashed in my pocket for the sharing.

And considering the 92 year old woman who "repaired" the fresco on the walls of the church of Santuario de Misericordia, I'm wondering if there wasn't a similar moment in a hallway a couple weeks ago in Spain:

 "Ahora aquĆ­ es una chica que se parece a ella me puede conseguir whisky!"





No comments:

Post a Comment