Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Easter!

Since Easter's around the corner ...

My mom always wrote ON photos- drives me nuts.

Here's a shot from Easter morning, 1976.
We were at my grandma's house with all my cousins. That's my dad to my right (labelled "dad") and my brother Kevin. My sister was still two years away.
That's my cousin Patrick trying to get my attention.
There were nine of us kids there that year, along with my Gram and six adults. In a house with one bathroom. At the back end of the first floor. With only a claw-foot tub, no shower. I don't know how they did it. Must've sent the boys outside to pee.
We would dye eggs the night before Easter- the youngest child inevitably would drink a cup of dye- and then get our baskets the next morning, followed by an egg hunt outside. And then Sunday dinner which, according to my memory, always consisted of ham, scalloped potatoes and asparagus. All of which I hated, so fond memories of Easter dinner, I do not have.
In addition to the usual jellybeans and chocolate bunnies and peeps, we would usually get balsa gliders or kites in our baskets to encourage us to play outside and give the adults a moment of peace, for the love of crap. They always broke immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment